This 500 to 559-hour course provides manipulative and technical training in basic concepts of fire department organization, ropes, knots and hitches, hose and hose handling, ladder evolutions, wildland fires, fire investigation, fire prevention, salvage operations, fire department apparatus, tools and equipment, breathing apparatus, extinguishers, personal protective equipment, communications, swift water rescue and hazardous materials. The Fire Academy will also teach you how to prepare yourself for a career in the fire service. Upon successful completion of the Fire Academy, recruits will receive college credit from American River College.
The Basic Firefighter I Academy is a fast-paced, intense and highly disciplined program based on the Fire Fighter Skills Textbook by Jones & Bartlett and the California State Fire Marshal Firefighter I curriculum.
The Recruit will receive the technical and manipulative instruction to operate at a Firefighter 1 level. Training is designed to develop the Recruit's ability to function under stress and perform as an effective team member of a fire company.
What to Expect
Below is a brief order of the application process:
- Recruit candidates submit in an Application for the Basic Firefighter I Academy.
- Successful candidates will be given instructions to participate in the Testing Phase, which includes the following:
» Physical Assessment
» Written Exam
- Applicants will be notified of their application status and standing in the Academy
- Candidates who successfully complete the Testing Phase will be given direction to complete the following items:
» Registration and Payment
» Medical Examination
» Liability Release
» Los Rios Community College District Application
» Uniform and equipment sizing
- Academy begins August 15 - December 16, 2022.